“The Wishing Box” is a an educative activity of learning, languages and teaching in values. It is based on the EPI approach (Integrated plurilingualism of languages framework).
1 ¿What is it?
Each group class creates and decorates a “Wishing box” for the class, where students can put all the wishes for other classmates/teachers or group class during a whole week. The teacher opens the box the opening day and he/she gives all the wishes to their receivers. These whishes are notes, postcards or letters writen in Catalan, Spanish or English. They are positive messages that highlight the virtues of another person of the group class.
The purpose of the activity is to promote the comradership, the positive thinking towards oneself and the others, the team-work, and the team feeling at the same time that the languages practice, writing and Art take place. The outcome is to work the values; to encourage the positive thinking and the team-work; to impulse the use of language, the writing and the integrated plurilingualism.
2. ¿How is it work?
Step by step:
- Presentation of the box: An empty box is presented to the class. The teacher explains the project and opens a note example (made by the teacher) adressed to the group-class. It is a positive message.
- The note: Explanation of the note typology. Work of the form, stucture and vocabulary necessary to create the notes. Some example of real positive notes written in the three languages (Catalan, Spanish and English) are read in class.
- Decoration of the box: Each group class decorates their “Wishing box” together as something that everyone share.
- Writing notes: One session is dedicated to write notes in different languages. First, a brain storming of the structure and the useful vocabulary is done together. After that, the teacher emphasises that at least one of the notes has to be writen for someone who is not a closest friend. They can write as notes as they want. The decoration of the notes is also very important. For that reason, students can use different material that the school offers them such as paint, cards, stickers…
- Opening: The Wishing box is opened at the opening day established. The teacher gives the notes and the students can read the ones that they received in front of the class.
The results obtainet at Can Vidalet’s School, in Esplugues de Llobregat, Barcelona, are very positive:
- Great students participation in crescendo in the activity.
- Big motivation for the activity.
- Improvement of the camrdaship and teamwork. The separatism and conflicts between students are reduced.
- Increase of the number of English writings and of the interest for the foreign language in order to be able to express personal messages in English.
- Improvement of the writing competence in English, Catalan and Spanish.